Tuesday, February 1, 2011

kitchen Sunday

I actually did spend some time in the kitchen Sunday, but not so much time on the other things I'd listed (the knitting, the laundry, the reading). I made potato fennel soup, quinoa salad, and gluten-free banana bread~

~rinsing quinoa before cooking


~chop, chop!


~soup simmering


~gluten free banana bread-with a "couple" of chocolate chips thrown in for good measure


It was so nice to come home after picking the girls up from school yesterday and not having to really worry about cooking right away (and it helped even more considering the schoolwork that needed attention). We ate the soup last night for dinner with some sandwiches. More is still in the fridge for my lunch today. The gluten-free banana bread turned out better than I thought it would. I tasted the batter before I placed it in the oven and it did have a pronounced "beany" flavor, but that flavor wasn't so strong after the bread finished baking and rested for awhile. I think it's pretty good and my youngest thinks so too (I suspect this has something to do with the chocolate chips-to her adding chocolate chips to a dish makes it absolutely delicious-note to self, add chocolate chips to tonight's broccoli :)
The gluten-free flour I used was from Bob's Red Mill. We are not a gluten-free family, but I am interested in consuming less gluten-maybe becoming more in terms of "gluten light".
I think I'll try to keep this Sunday cooking going because it definitely makes the start to the week a bit less hectic.
Have a great Tuesday!

2 comments:

  1. Yum! You're making me hungry. I made banana nut muffins yesterday and there are four left (thanks in large part to Atticus, the muffin man). I like the Bob's all-purpose. It works pretty well for most things that I've tried.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss that little muffin man!
    I agree, I think Bob's gf products are some of the best ones out there.

    ReplyDelete