Thursday, September 24, 2009

baba ghanouj~revised



One of the joys I have in cooking is taking a recipe and switching it up a bit. Tonight for dinner I decided to make some baba ghanouj-which I have made many times before, just following a recipe from one of my many cookbooks. I went to the fridge to get out my eggplant and I also had fennel, which I had bought last week (I was planning to make a fennel apple salad, but that didn't pan out). So I thought, "why not roasted the eggplant and fennel together" and so that's what I did. I roasted them along with some garlic, got out the food processor and made the baba ghanouj.

Here's what I did~
I took half of a rather large uncooked eggplant (I had only used half of it for another recipe), then I took half of my fennel bulb, including the leafy parts on top and removed the core. I put the eggplant, fennel, along with 4-5 cloves of garlic (we like garlic, lessen the amount of cloves if desired) on a cookie sheet then drizzled the veggies with olive oil (along with a sprinkle of salt and pepper) and roasted them for about 40 minutes at 350 degrees. After the veggies cooked and had cooled for a little bit, I removed most of the skin of the eggplant-then placed the veggies in the food processor along with some tahini (about 1/2 cup) and some lemon juice (two large tablespoons). As the veggies were being blended up, I added a very small amount of water (perhaps about two tablespoons as well) and some olive oil (about 1/8th cup) into the tube of the processor and kept blending. After the consistency was just right (nice and thick, shouldn't be runny) I tasted the dip and added salt and pepper accordingly.

This along with some good pita bread or anything dippable,yum-yum!

3 comments:

  1. This sounds like a tasty dip!

    Since you like roasting veggies, maybe you'll like this roasted tomato soup recipe: http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/roasted-tomato-soup-recipe.html

    I made that one before and it was delicious: http://elviajedevida.blogspot.com/2008/11/lets-try-roasting.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, Nichole, one more recipe. Just saw it on Flickr. It's a red pepper hummus dip (recipe link included): http://www.flickr.com/photos/msflickchic/3937739860/in/photostream/?addedcomment=1#comment72157622459358428

    ReplyDelete
  3. Libby thank you! I love new recipes and yes I love roasting vegetables too(:

    ReplyDelete