Saturday, September 19, 2009

the garden~end of season


squash sprout, originally uploaded by *nichole*.

I've been thinking now, as fall is on our heels, about gardening and how my relationship with seed and soil has influenced my view of life in general. Last year I tried my hand at Square Foot Gardening, and it was really a valuable experience. Last year I kept a written garden journal of sorts and I'm going to share one particular entry here:

June 11th
We have received so much rain, I mean almost daily, that really I haven't needed to do much except pull some weeds and hope for the best. Some of the plants are withstanding the rain pretty well (the tomatoes and the kale) but the lettuce and chard-oh boy-they are just hanging on. My sfg box is looking pretty dirty too because of all the rain. I have gained some perspective about life from gardening I think~

first, control is an illusion

second, give the plants what they need, then back off (somewhat)

third, be grateful for any harvest (whether small or large)

fourth, use gentle/organic pest control

fifth, don't be too
serious, just serious enough

Hopefully I can translate these
insights to my bigger-larger life.

As I re-read this, I realize that I garden not only to gain a physical harvest, but also to gain a spiritual harvest- working in God's nature, holding on to faith.


So Jesus said to them, "Because of your unbelief; for assuredly I say to you, if you have faith as a mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there', and it will move; and nothing will be impossible for you".
Matthew 17:20 (NKJV)

No comments:

Post a Comment