Monday, April 5, 2010

fruity

Yesterday for Easter I made two types of desserts-both based on fruit. As I've mentioned before I'm trying to healthify (is that a word?) our sweet selections. Now the most simple dessert one can make involves chocolate and fruit-and I believe anything with chocolate qualifies as a dessert.

~dried apricots and strawberries with dark chocolate


~our second dessert, a dairy-free fruit tart
we are not vegan, or even vegetarian for that matter-but the more I cook the more I love looking everywhere for recipes, ideas, suggestions. I don't like limitations, especailly in the kitchen. I made this tart by googling certain things (like dairy free vanilla pudding and vegan fruit tart) and the tweaking what I saw online with what I had in the pantry and fridge. The crust of the tart is a combination of ginger cookies, fine coconut flakes, almonds, dried apricots, a little coconut oil, and a dash of salt-pulsed together in the food processor then pressed into a pan. The filling part of the tart consists of pudding made with almond milk and pureed mango(I made the pudding first, cooled it overnight and folded the mango puree into the pudding the following morning). Strawberries and plums complete the top of the tart. Not too hard at all, and well worth the effort. Isn't it an awesome thing when desserts are actually good for you (:

3 comments:

  1. YUM! Do you have any suggestions for the dipping chocolate? Atticus went to town on a chocolate covered strawberry recently when we went out to brunch so I'd love to make them sometime. And the tart is beautiful and looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All these treats look so yummy! I understand the "looking for recipes everywhere" process. It expands your options. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tara what I do is just take a bar of dark chocolate and melt it in a pyrex bowl that is sitting on top of a pot of simmering hot water (like a double boiler) and then dip the fruit in that bowl of chocolate as it melts. I used Rapunzel dark chocolate and some Ghiradelli chips.
    Libby-options are a good thing definitely (:

    ReplyDelete